How to Become an Australian Permanent Resident
Australia is considered by many as one of the best countries to live in. As a nation of great natural beauty, it provides a high standard of living with balanced lifestyle. Each year, the Australian government receives hundreds of thousands of permanent resident application from people across the globe.
Australia offers immigration opportunities to skilled persons and those with personal connections there. Becoming an Australian PR could be a straightforward or complex process depending on your current qualification status. With hundreds of visa subclasses out there, it is very important to know which one is the most suitable for you before you apply.
Below are the most common pathways in becoming a permanent resident in Australia.
1. Apply through General Skilled Migration. This is your best choice if you do not have an employer to sponsor you. It is based on a points test system where you need to get 60 points to become eligible. Popular visa subclass under this program is subclass 189, subclass 190, and subclass 489.To qualify:
- You should be between 18 and 50 years old.
- You should pass the IELTS (English Test Exam).
- Your nominated occupation should be under the Skilled Occupations List.
- Get an invitation after lodging your Expression of Interest (EOI).
(To get an idea on how eligible you are under the General Skilled Migration, you may complete our free migration assessment.)
2. Get sponsored by your partner or spouse who is either an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor should provide a legal undertaking to support you during your first two years in Australia.
4. Invest, establish or manage a business a new or existing business in Australia.
There are many other ways on how to become an Australian PR aside from these. For more information, immigration advice and assistance, call us at +65 6299 0246.